“The mission of the American Counseling Association of Missouri is to enhance
quality of life in the state of Missouri by promoting the development of
professional counselors, advancing the counseling profession, and using the
profession and practice of counseling to promote respect for human dignity and
Purposes of ACAM
|• Human Development – Promote development across the life span that will facilitate positive change and optimize the human potential of those served by counselors. Promote public awareness and support of this goal.
• Human Rights – Promote programs that address human rights and social needs.
• Interprofessional and Intraprofessional Collaboration- Promote and recognize interdependence among individuals, organizations and societies.
• Organization, Administration and Management- Provide the organizational structure and resources necessary to promote ACAM membership and fulfill our mission.
• Professional Development – Promote the counseling profession, and promote the education and professional development of counselors to the highest standards.
• Public Policy and Legislation – Promote and support public policy and legislation that enhance human and societal development through counseling.
• Research and Knowledge – Promote the advancement and dissemination of research and knowledge in counseling.
Values of ACAM
|• Caring for Self and Others- We believe in the worth and dignity of the individual and we value caring and respect for self and others.
• Enabling Positive Change – We believe that positive change in people, organizations, and societies is possible and can be facilitated.
• Acquiring and Using Knowledge – We believe that we need to be aware of current and evolving research and knowledge that can assist in facilitating positive change.
• Empowering Leadership- We believe leadership requires a willingness to take risks, a readiness to take stands, and a responsibility to act on vital issues.
• Promoting Linkage – We believe in interdependence among people, organizations, and societies.